SJDA-UK Mentorship ProjectGet peer guidance and support for career and life..
The purpose of this project
benefits of the project
- A networking platform for joining SJDA members together and sharing their journeys.
- Individualised guidance and signposting tool for living in the UK.
- Support around the expected challenges for the newcomers and even those who have been in the UK for some time.
- A tool for boosting the confidence of the new residents about facing the changes in living in the UK.
- It provides experience of mentoring for the mentors and enhances their CV.
- A potential for social security among Sudanese junior doctors.
How does it work?
Contact details will be shared between the mentor and the mentee and it will be up to both parties to decide the mode of communication. A feedback will be sought after 6 month period.
Criteria for Mentee
- SJDA member
- Physically Residing in the UK e.g already started a job or already in the UK doing Exams etc. or will be living in the UK soon i.e secured a job.
- Note: the programme is not for those who are planning to come to the UK, e.g those who haven’t had a visa yet.
- Also the programme is not necessarily for those who have just arrived to the UK, anyone who feels he/she would benefit from mentorship can apply.
Criteria for the mentor
- SJDA member.
- Preferably has been in the UK for at least 3 years.
- Willing to advice and support mentees.
The programme provides mentorship in terms of live as a general in the UK and career issues, however the mentees priorities and expectations will be considered if a single mentor is not available to provide both.
From Our inbox
For the following 3 months, Ahmed was in touch every few weeks with his mentor, he knew from Khalid how to claim tax refunds and childcare vouchers which saved him some money. His mentor also gave him advice on how to resolve a dispute with the letting agency where he rented a flat. He also knew from Khalid some of the places in the UK with attractions for spending the weekend with his family.